Monday, May 16, 2011

Sophie's Snakes.

May 7, 2011. 11:35 am.

I am sitting next to Sophie's hospital bed watching green slime make it's way out of her stomach via a tube through her nose and down the back of her throat. The tube full of green stomach bile snakes it's way around until it reaches a vacuum tight container that is attached to another tube that goes into the wall. Along with other hallucinations (from the morphine, I suspect) she has been having terrible nightmares about snakes. My poor baby who is terribly afraid of snakes now has one coming out of her body.

I don't think Sophie is a princess anymore. I think she is a super hero. She has been so, so brave. And I wish with all my heart that I could stick that nasty tube down my nose and throat for her. I am now reaching my stress limit.I keep bursting into tears in front of my daughter.So I have asked Val to bring me something to calm my nerves. Wonderful Val. She'll have them here this afternoon. The 'don't freak out' pills.

And I have begged Mieke to come.I need a hug from her like you wouldn't believe.I need an infusion of her strength to face another night of snakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment