Sunday, June 5, 2011

What is YOUR Mutant trait?

I've just come from seeing 'X-Men, First Class' with my 13 year old son. Which I enjoyed very much. Which, surprisingly, I found myself relating to.

I have always tried to convey to my children that a person's biggest weakness can also be their biggest strength. So I related to the movie on that level.

For example, one of my worst traits is that I am stubborn and don't listen to anyone. This most certainly can and is seen as a bad thing many times. But it also gave me the will and strength to go to school in London with a tiny boy when everyone around me said I'd be crazy to do it. "Just stay in Dallas and 'settle down.'" they said. If I had followed their advice I probably would have shot myself in the head by now. Instead, thanks to my bullheaded nature and an uncanny ability to take no one's advice throughout all of my younger years, I had the adventure of a lifetime and some great training as well.
Another time that I tapped into this mutant power of mine was when I bought this house."You'll never be able to handle it. Just move into an apartment" everyone around me said as if I were crazy.A single mother of 3 (at that time) with jobs that resembled a financial roller-coaster, and ZERO credit had no business buying a house in the Hollywood Hills. I willed and morphed myself into Scarlet O'Hara just as Mystique can morph into someone she needs to be at that moment - channeling the power of that character to buy a house that would give security to myself and my children. "As God is my witness...As God is my witness!" I shouted in my back yard,shaking my fists at the sky.
This house has turned out to be the best thing I have ever done for my family. It has literally saved us year after year, put groceries on the table, and been a haven for starving artists and mutants of every description.

I also took pause at the scene when Magneto tells Sebastian Shaw (the Nazi who killed his mother in front of him as a boy) that everything he (Magneto) had become was because of this man's evil doing. All the hurt and rage that was caused to the Magneto character gave him strength of will and power.
Although my mother wasn't killed in front of me as a child - she did leave. Never to come back. When I was 4. I feel sure that all of my childhood hurt and rage has empowered me many times. And during that miserable, tortured childhood - I felt like a mutant. I felt like I was covered in blue scales. Or that I might just LOSE it some day and my anger would change me into a raging, animal beast.

I think we all feel like a mutant or a freak sometimes.
And I think a sense of justice and right lives in most of our hearts - more than we even know.
Deepak Chopra has just written a book with his son, Gotham, about comic book heroes - why people relate to them so much, and why they are cool. As a child, I felt so helpless. And never have I felt so idealistic about things as when I was a child. So - delving into the land of comic books, where mere mortals are given special powers or special tools to fight evil and injustice was liberating. The stories are purely fantastical, but the feelings and ideals are relevant and on par with the heightened emotions of children - before we are so well trained to 'tone it down' by society and culture.

What is your mutant trait?
What are YOUR special powers?
I can't speak for anyone else (of COURSE!), but I need to remember what mine are and damn well tap into them before life washes over me like a giant tsunami and buries me in the sand of insignificance and irrelevance for the rest of my short life here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment