Friday, September 14, 2012

Canned Tomatoes.

Ok, this will have to be a short one, as I have school this afternoon/evening.

I've just finished doing my homework and reading out in the beautiful vitamin D, while sipping my coffee and eating a carrot cake muffin that my sister made me for breakfast.

I am happy to report to you that yesterday's class was a little improved. Mr "I don't want to be here" seemed a little happier to be there, and we made 4 kinds of potatoes : Lyonaisse, french fried, potato pancakes and  Duchess
and 4 grains : jasmine rice, rice pilaf, barley pilaf, polenta.
and fresh pasta with alfredo and red sauce.

Despite the fact that the red sauce was inedible (I wouldn't be caught DEAD serving that - not even in an institution of any kind), the rice pilaf was not good, and the jasmine rice was too soft and sticky - I was at LEAST reassure that I would be learning a GREAT DEAL at this school - and VERY RAPIDLY. Which is good, because I am not a patient person.

I am rattling around this big house here all by myself (with my cat, Zyll), and I have to confess it's getting a little bit lonely. I was hoping to make friends in culinary school - but in my mixed class of 25  (the majority of them will split off in a month to do pastry and baking) , I seriously think that at LEAST half the class (I would venture to guess two thirds) legitimately has something along the lines of Aspergers syndrome. They are painfully shy. In fact, they seem terrified of other people. A couple of times, I have innocently asked someone, "What's your name again?" and they reacted as if I'd whipped my french knife out, pointed it right at them and threatened to slice their throat.

Interesting to think about, really. I guess it makes sense that a lot of shy people would seek out professions that put them socked away in a kitchen (and if they are baking it's generally in the middle of the night when everyone else is asleep).

But HOW THEN, (I lament and wail to you) am I EVER going to make any new FRIENDS in this beautiful, beautiful, lonely place?????
        I DON'T EVEN HAVE ANYONE TO GO TO DINNER WITH IN A LAND FAMOUS FOR IT'S INCREDIBLE RESTAURANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GOOD GRIEF!




No comments:

Post a Comment