Monday, January 10, 2011

Peter and I spend the night in a mansion.

The short time I spent with Peter in New york, were some of the happiest months of my life.
We told each other our dreams and hopes and plans. We shared our fears about the future as well. But mostly we made each other laugh and explored the city like two twitter-pated kids.If you don't know what that word means, I suggest you watch 'Bambi' again. We were just like those young Disney animal characters in the spring time. Drunk on hormones and love and youth. And what better place to be in such a state than NYC in the eighties?

On one of those fine, spring days, Peter asked if I wanted to visit his family in Rye, New York. Just a train ride away, on Long Island Sound.
I was reluctant - again - with out knowing why. Even now, I don't know why I was reluctant. He proposed visiting his Aunt and cousin who lived there. I ADORED Peter's parents - BOTH of them - so I don't know why I was so hesitant.

"Come on, it'll be fun. It's so beautiful out now - let's get out of the city. It's really pretty there, you'll see. And, the thing is, our family is selling this old house that's been in the family for a really long time - so it's probably my last chance to see it before it's gone.." His face looked so sweet and eager. How could I refuse?
"We'll just stay for one night." he said reassuringly.

So we packed one little overnight bag for the two of us and hopped on a train to Rye.

I knew nothing about Rye. I had been to one neighborhood on Long Island that I thought was hilarious. It was the kind of neighborhood and house that made me think of Hilary's exaggerated Long Island accent when she'd say "What's a Jewish American princess' favorite wine? " (dramatic pause - Hil is the BEST joke teller) "I want to go to Miaaaaaameeee!"
And along with her tails of growing up on long Island, I pictured housewives with big hair and long painted finger nails driving around in big cars, wearing too much make-up. I thought Rye would be like that.

But Rye was quite different.
We got there just as dusk was touching the branches of all the newly sprouting trees. Peter's aunt picked us up from the train station, and I was immediately pleased. Like his parents, she was warm and witty, super smart and FUN. She drove us a short way to her house, and though it was getting dark, I could tell that Rye (at least this part of it) was OLD MONEY. Stately old homes that sat down long driveways lined the streets along with giant old trees and flowering bushes.

We pulled into the gravel driveway that led to Peter's aunt's house. I remembered that I loved the sound of tires on crunchy gravel. Inside, it was warm and cozy. I should have expected nothing less. No wonder Peter was so great. These were the people that he came from. Today, Sarah Palin would call them "elite". You know, because they had been to good colleges and were well read and had done some traveling. Because they read the New York Times, and actually LEARNED things on their travels.

We drank good wine, had a great meal that these lovely ladies made for us - and great conversation, sprinkled with lots of laughter. I could, and CAN, be pretty shy sometimes - but they made me feel at home immediately. I must be completely honest right now and say that I did allow myself to fantasize about what it would be like to be a part of this family into the future. But only for a moment. Much like Jeff's family,this one was right on the verge of being too good to be true. I had read about these kinds of people, and seen them in movies - but never had I experienced them for myself until now.

During the evening, it was explained to me that they were living in the old coach house of the the primary family house - which I hadn't really even caught a glimpse of. The "big" house was down a long driveway - and it was the house that was going to be sold shortly. Peter and I were going to sleep in the "big" house tonight. My curiosity was piqued.

A little after midnight, we said our goodnights, gave big hugs all around, and Peter and I strolled down the driveway. The night was so sweet. It smelled like new grass and fresh air. There was a huge moon that night, and it poured soft light over everything. Already my heart felt like it would burst with unadulterated joy - and then, just passed another beautiful tree, the house revealed itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment