Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tweak - my first attempt at a one night stand.

I have told you by now, that Mieke was and is my very best friend in the whole world. And I have told you about her beauty and that we use to roam the streets and venues of LA as 2 single ladies - largely unchallenged when together - the force of "double blonde" strong with us. Men, adventure , sex, drugs and rock and roll literally followed us wherever we went. If we went to a school bake sale, Anthony Kiedis was there, trying to seduce one or both of us. If we went to a Church fund raiser, Flea was there with a NEW hair color - flirting vehemently. I went trick-or-treating with the lead singer of 'Korn' (and his body guard), and Mieke was propositioned by Moby. The fun we had together after our divorces was unequaled even by the cast of 'Sex and The City' as far as I can tell.

What I have not mentioned about my beautiful friend, was that she was one of the first and only photographers for AOL music. She is hugely talented and has photographed some of the biggest music legends in the world (think Ray Charles). And she has also photographed some bands and artists that did not reach legend status. It was on just such a job that she gave me a call.

"Hey, Jeni! What are you doing tonight?"
"Well, nothing...."
"Do you want to come see this band I just shot? Well, it's a singer - she's really good - and the band is so sweet! All of them! I think you'll like them!"
"ummmm.....ok. I guess. Why not?"
"GREAT! I'll pick you up!"

Mieke had just started to be really interested in this guy, Jim (whom she is now married to), and she knew that I was going through a really hard time. I was finnished with a long and crazy relationship to a complete psycho - the father of my youngest child - and was NOT fully recovered from the trauma of it all. She felt responsible for me to some degree, and wanted to take me out and distract me. She was always so, so good to me.

So, we went to the show, and then we met up with the 'so sweet' band afterwards. They WERE very sweet.There was only one guy who was sort of your typical smarmy, slick, self obsessed, arrogant musician type. We didn't hang out with him.

The guy who started to pay attention to me was the tall, gangly keyboard player. John Pahmer. We went to this other venue - club/restaurant/bar - with the whole gang, and proceeded to drink. And talk, and, in my case, flirt. John bought me drinks. His friend, Matt (the drummer), was super fun and nice. The four of us ended up talking and having a GREAT time. Then Mieke had to leave. We went into the ladies room together.

"Well, little Jeni - I have to go home. What are you thinking? That keyboard player is pretty cute...."
"He is. But they're on tour. He's leaving tomorrow...."
"Well...." she smiled innocently, "there's always tonight..."
"Tonight, hu?", I mused. I had never had a one night stand. And maybe I could use it. Just one fun night - no strings. He WAS really cute, and sweet. I wasn't sure, but I wasn't ready to go home, either.
"You go on home. I'll get a cab. " I said. This was probably the first and ONLY time Mieke ever left me anywhere - out on the town.
"You sure?" she asked before she could go, "do you have cash? Do you need some?"
"No! I'm fine!" I laughed. "It'll be fine." and as I said it, I knew it was true. This guy was alright. I could feel it.

Mieke went home, and I continued to laugh and talk to John and his friend, Matt. John had (has) big blue-green eyes and a big smile. He concentrated those eyes on me all night. He looked like he was looking at the whole of me - and listening. It took forever, ever, EVER for him to finally kiss me. I swear I had been willing it to happen for hours - and then FINALLY, at the end of the night - he kissed me. It was so nice.

"They're going to kick us out of here in a minute..." he said.
"Yea..." I said, regretfully.
"Do you want to come back to my hotel with me? I mean, we can just stay up and talk if you want. It would be great to talk to you some more..."
Good grief. He was such a gentleman. I really knew how to pick my one night stands.It was going to be a great night of TALKING!

"Ok." I said. "I'd love to come back with you."
We went outside to say our (his) farewells, and he pointed out a guy in the corner.
"It's Beck." he said. "you could probably go home with him instead, if you wanted. Just go over there and sit on his lap. I'm pretty sure he won't toss you off."
It was Beck. He was right there, looking more....delicate ..than I imagined.

I turned to John and pulled him towards me. "I want to go with you. Is that ok?"
He looked really amused. "Well, sure, if that's what you want. You know we're leaving tomorrow, right?"
"I do."
"And you still want to go back with me?"
"Well, not if we're just going to talk." I said.
He just looked at me with his big eyes.
"I've never had a one night stand" I explained. "I was hoping you'd be my first."
"Well...", he said, looking pleased. "I think we can work that out."

We went back to his hotel room and had a lovely night.
I took a cab home at some God-awful hour, feeling young and sexy and alive. I would NEVER hear from that cute musician again. But I guessed that that was ok.

About two hours after I had fallen asleep, my phone rang. It was John.

"Hey. I know that was supposed to be a one night stand, and I'm probably not supposed to call you..."

I laughed. It was so nice to hear his voice. "That's ok. I'm glad you called. I forgot you even had my number..."

"Oh. Good."
I laughed again. We were both so sleepy. "What are you doing?", I asked.
"We're just getting ready to go to the airport." he answered. Gosh he sounded sweet. "And I was just thinking that I'd really like to call you. Would that be ok?" he asked.
I squirmed around like a little kid in my bed.
"Well, you are ruining my first and probably only one night stand..." I said - delighted.
"I know. Sorry."
"But I would love for you to call me. I would really, really love it." I said. And I meant it.

That plan to have a one night stand was entirely shot, and I guess I never HAVE had one. But what I did have with Tweak was far, far better.

How I ended up calling John Pahmer 'Tweak' is another story. For another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment