Sunday, February 13, 2011

David's Valentine.

As I mentioned in my last story, there were 2 great Valentine's in my life.

The second was with David Poynter. Yes. The footman in 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses' who drove a motorcycle and seduced me with his cute kittens.

That first opening night evening was the beginning of our romance, and by Valentine's day, we were hot and heavy. Every night of the run of the show we were together (naturally), and after that, I was doing 'A Christmas Carol', and David was auditioning for movies. But we were inseparable. Everything with us was super charged. Super romantic. Somehow, when I get together with my polar opposite, an Aquarian - watch OUT! David was my FIRST Aquarian, and although I don't REALLY believe in all that stuff, I'm sort of terrified and intrigued with Aquarian men, because they ALWAYS do a number on my head and heart. And body. I have to say that, because it's true. But it's always ALL wrapped up together - you see? And that can be a little crazy making!

For example, one night during intermission of 'Les Liaisons', David came and grabbed my hand. He pulled me into his chest and kissed me hotly on the mouth.
"Come with me." he whispered.
I followed him as quickly as I could in my giant dress. He led me backstage through a corridor I had never been down. He took me deep into the back section of the theater, where much of the scene building was done, and where we were vehemently discouraged from going while the play was being put up and built. David opened a door at the end of the corridor and revealed a small room with VERY high ceilings - that was FULL of HATS! the WHOLE room was dedicated to hats! Shelves crowded the little room and went up for 2 stories, there was a ladder attached to the shelves that rolled around them - shelves and shelves of HATS! It was so extraordinary! And on the floor, there was a huge mess of hats in progress, or hats in various states of demise! And fabric! And feathers! And bags of buttons and what-nots! It was WONDERFUL!!!!

And into this pile of fabric and hats, David pulled me down, and made love to me right there in my giant, heavy dress with my authentic, whalebone corset in tact. His powdered wig was off, his buckled shoes thrown to the side. The footman and the virgin making love in the hat room of the Dallas Theater Center, while the subscription holders waited in line for their cocktails, or braved the dangerously steep steps down to the powder rooms.

I was head over heels in love with David. And lust. And...everything. It was the full package. And I knew it from the very start. If I had had one single doubt, he banished that one by putting a kitten on my chest on our first date. Unfortunately, I was nuts.

Anyway, by the time Valentine's day rolled around, we had been together for several months, and we were both DEEP into it.

David asked me out for Valentine's day, like a proper gentleman. He picked me up and took me to his place to start. He sat me down and gave me a card that he had made. (Oh, gentlemen! Please know how FAR a home made card goes on Valentine's day!!!) He watched my face as I opened it. I still HAVE this card. I TREASURE it.
The card said this : One gift for each of your exquisite senses. For your delicious taste buds, a romantic and decadent dinner. For your delicate sense of smell, a bouquet of the freshest and most fragrant flowers. For your pretty ears (which I love to kiss), a concert. A concerto. For your sense of touch (your quivering skin, alive with reception), a massage, and then....what ever may follow. I love you. Please be my Valentine....always.....David.

What girl, what woman could possibly resist such a Valentine?
He made good on all of his sensual promises.
The next two and a half days (for this was an extended Valentine's gift) were full of romance and pleasure such as dreams are made of. He had no money. All of it was done on nothing but good intentions. His room-mate was a massage therapist - he borrowed the massage table to give me a fantastic and SEXY massage. The concerto was a free one. His friend worked at the fancy restaurant, and gave David a deal on dinner. The flowers were bought wholesale. And the card - that I treasure to this day - was made from construction paper and magazine clippings.

For all romantics in the world, I say this to you. What ever effort you may make, whatever fool you may think you have made of yourself if things don't go right for eternity, please KNOW THIS - it will be treasured. No one can take away the experience of love. And your home-made valentine, whatever story lies behind it, is probably in some box - hidden (as all treasures are) by the love you gave it to. It was real. And stays real. There is NOTHING MORE real than that. The experience, the memory, the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment