Sunday, February 20, 2011

minted pea spread + easy mojitos!

Well, instead of going to search for Banksy art in LA with my friends today (Mark and Ryan), I decided to do some gardening and some cleaning - trying to keep up with my out of town house guests, you know it goes....and since the WICKER gang and my out of towners are all excited about this big, all-star basketball game today, I decided to try to make Sara's minted pea spread on home made crostini.

OH! This one is SOOOOO easy, FAST, HEALTHY and delicious - I MUST share it!

take a bag of frozen peas, cook until just 'freshened' (as Sara says). Barely cook them until they're bright green. Then run them under cold water in a strainer. dump those emerald green babies into your blender or Cuisinart. Add juice of one big juicy lemon,1/8th cup of good olive oil, liberal pinch of sea salt,and a handful of mint leaves then blend. THAT'S IT!

you can adjust the lemon juice, mint and salt to your taste - but you've just ended up with a super pretty, healthy dip or spread that takes all of 4 minutes to make - THANKS, Sara!!!!! It might SOUND little too healthy - but these young rock stars that just walked in LOVED it, I'm JUST sayin'...

You can serve this on homemade crostini (which is a little more trouble, lets face it) or - I really dig it with these new pretzel chips - YUM. ok - I got the package - they're called pretzel crisps, made by the Snack Factory. 0 trans fat.

Then, as you will doubtless have extra mint left over, why not throw that into the blender (after you've cleaned it, of course) and lime juice (has to be fresh), Bacardi's light rum, some filtered water and ice and a big dollop of agave nectar. Blend into EASY mojitos, pour over ice. (I say easy, because normally I would make simple syrup ahead of time, and muddle mint into each glass - I am a mojito SNOB, but doing it this way saves a couple steps and is still fresh and deeeelish)

Ok, my friends - I am off to shower and figure out which of my ten year old outfits I can get away with wearing tonight on my ACTUAL DATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment